Every year Mary Meeker, a former ibanker turned VC, presents her Internet trends at the Web 2 conference. It’s something I look forward to every year – for the insights as much as the sport of seeing just how much data she can cram into her ever expanding number of slides – and something I believe should be required reading for everyone working in and around digital and/or social media.
Here is this year’s edition:
And her key trends are:
- Globality: we aren’t in Kansas anymore
- Mobile: early innings growth, still
- User interface: text -> graphical -> touch/sound/move
- Commerce: Fast/Easy/Fun/Savings = more important than ever…
- Advertising: lookin’ good (phew!)
- Content creation: changed forever
- Technology/Mobile leadership – Americans should be proud
- Mega-trend of 21st Century = empowerment of people via connected mobile devices
- Authentic identity: The good/bad/ugly. But mostly good?
- Economy: lots of uncertainty
- USA inc: pay attention!