Do you have trouble slowing down and shutting off? I know I do – more on that later – but is it any wonder considering the myriad ways we can be contacted? Here’s how I can be contacted with a running tally in brackets:
- any one of my four work email accounts (4)
- my hotmail account (5)
- my gmail account (6)
- BlackBerry Messenger (7)
- text message (8)
- phone call to any of the three (work, BlackBerry and home) phone numbers (11)
- comment or contact form on my blog (13)
- Facebook wall post or direct message ( 15)
- Windows Live Instant Messenger (16)
- Twitter @ message or direct message (18)
…and I’m sure I’ve left some out.
Is it any wonder we find ourselves overwhelmed if this is the sheer number of inputs to our lives? And that’s not to mention the volume we take in through those inputs or through other media we consume.
How do you manage the inputs to your life?
I was sent a link to “10 Online Tools for Better Attention and Focus” after twittering this post: