Clearly I love my BlackBerry but as I’ve said before, I can suffer from iPhone envy. Here are the apps I’ve used to customise my BlackBerry experience and stave off the green eyed monster:
- WordPress – being used to write this blog post
- The Score – the best sports news, scores and highlights app out there. Yes, it even streams highlights to your BlackBerry
- Foursquare – I’m not sure what to make of the location based game but I’m enjoying it and the native app helps me enjoy the experience that much more
- MaxMem – an app to free up space for all the other apps. This is essential if you are app-happy because the security settings on a BlackBerry require you to save apps to the local memory…so even if you have a micro-SD card, your memory for apps is limited. MaxMem lets you delete all the bloated firmware that comes pre-installed on your BlackBerry
- Genicious – to save bookmarks to delicious on the go
- BlackBerry App World – I usually find myself downloading directly through the browser but this helps keep my apps up to date
- UberTwitter – my preferred Twitter app
- Facebook – I have to admit that the Facebook app is less than ideal, especially compared to the iPhone, but when hooked up with an email account, it works well enough
- Google maps – perfect for when you’re lost or when you don’t want to fire up the GPS in the car
Not apps per se but still indispensable for my mobile life:
- Berry Bloglines – synced with my Bloglines account and way better than the official mobile version
- A second email inbox – since Hotmail allowed pop/imap access, I asked our IT manager to add my personal account as an additional inbox and it has been quite awesome
- Just for the Olympics, I’ve been enjoying the Yahoo! mobile portal
How about you? What apps are essential for your BlackBerry?
Disclosure – I worked on a personal campaign for Jim Balsillie, co-CEO of RIM, maker of the BlackBerry.