Reading the highly entertaining Valleywag today and the guys had a couple of videos (via Dvorak) of Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant that were produced for Microsoft UK’s HR department. *Update – apparently the videos were produced in 2003*
Obviously they were hilarious and Gervais was in full David Brent mode providing the antithesis of how a modern day professional manager should act.
I’m not entirely sure whether Microsoft wanted this to be released externally, but now that it’s out in the open, I thought I’d throw my thoughts into the ring.
- I just engaged with Microsoft for more than 30mins and am talking about it here. Sure, I was watching via a Firefox browser and on a Google video but it was unmistakably a Microsoft “led” interaction
- Or was it? I was watching for the Gervais/Merchant double act, not for insight into Microsoft’s HR mechanics
- MS has a history of releasing internal videos to an external audience – should they have done it for this though? Maybe Tom, in his new digs can give us an answer?
- Was this good value for their shareholders – would their employees have learnt anything practical? Gervais and Merchant don’t come cheap and the whole thing would’ve been a good week of their time from writing, rehearsing and filming…judging from the outtakes at the end, filming would’ve taken a looong time with Gervais breaking down every five minutes
- And finally, does this hurt Gervais’ own brand? He’s made a big deal about not accepting the corporate dollar and this looks as if he’s sold out…
Enough of me trying to be all intellectual, here’s what you’ve been waiting for, the videos themselves!
The Office Values
The Office Values “Realising Potential”
If you’re viewing this in an RSS reader, I’ve embedded two Google Videos in the post. Click through to the blog itself to watch them.
Incidentally, today could not be a better day for the videos to “go viral” especially as The Ricky Gervais Show series three comes out today on iTunes!
Do you represent a laptop manufacturer or retailer? Do you want your logo here? If you do, please email me!