I’m getting ready (physically and emotionally) to chuck my favourite pair of jeans and I realised just how much like my jeans are to an agency relationship. With me as a client.
- When I bought them, I shopped around for many different brands and fits.
- I made a conscious decision not to skimp on the cost – and they’ve delivered in spades. I’ve had cheap jeans that look great on the hanger but that just haven’t lasted the course.
- I had to make a few initial alterations (shortening the legs).
- On the advice of a consultant, I didn’t wash them for six months, just let them get comfortable. I’ve really enjoyed the benefits since – they haven’t stretched or shrunk. They are, in the words of Goldilocks, just right.
- They are now unique to me – the small rips and frays, the discolourations, where my belt buckle rubs.
- They’ve lasted five good years.
But now my CMO wants an agency review, and I’ve had to give them the bad news, it’s hard to let them go.